May 16, 2014

ArcGIS for AutoCAD 350: New Tools!

Esri has released an update to ArcGIS for AutoCAD.  This new version is for people with Windows 32bit or 64bit AutoCAD 2013-2015.  The new release includes support for feature service attribute domain constraints and an extension to AutoLISP to customize ArcGIS for AutoCAD.   
Attribute domain constraints allow me to select valid values for data fields using a pick-list.  This improves data quality and consistency.  It is also much easier and faster to make attribute updates.
The new LISP functions help me customize my editing environment and automate many data creation task as well as help me control services in my drawings.  With programmatic access to ArcGIS for AutoCAD services and data I can automate many routine tasks, and extend the functionality of ArcGIS for AutoCAD in new and useful ways.   
When working with the AutoCAD version 2015 the desktop icon needs to be modified.  There is mention of it here in the forums
There is a glitch in AutoCAD 2015 affects some of the new AutoLISP functions.  Hopefully that glitch will be addressed soon.
Here are two overview videos I created to highlight these changes.  
And for a more in depth look, here is a set of free instructional videos to get you up to speed using the new features.
I am going to have lots of fun with this AutoLISP.  I am just finishing up a set of AutoLISP bonus tools to work with blocks, and annotation to label features!

10 Comments:

Blogger hlouie said...

Question, is it possible to have blocks inserted with a rotational value in the ESRI point feature class?

8:05 PM  
Blogger hlouie said...

What type of setup is required on the ArcGIS Server side?
SDE 10.2 database?

Can I rotate block based on a rotation angle in the point feature class?

Can I import existing block on other Autocad layer in to the point or line feature class?

9:49 PM  
Blogger Don Kuehne said...

ArcGIS for AutoCAD uses ArcGIS feature services, so the setup is authoring a map in ArcMap and publishing it with map and feature service capability using ArcGIS Server. With the new AutoLISP API you can do lots of things. Rotation of blocks is one thing I do in one of may AutoLISP routines. Contact me and I make sure you get a copy of it. And Yes I also have a sample routine that builds feature classes from blocks and layers! I think I show that in the last video of the training series listed above.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Don Kuehne said...

Regarding blocks; rotations could be controlled by using AutoLISP. I have samples I will be releasing shortly that will help you do this. stay tuned. I would also encourage everyone to build this kind of functionality themselves with the new AutoLISP functions.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is the glitch you referred to what is causing the bad argument error when trying to load the bonus labeling tools?

12:06 PM  
Blogger Don Kuehne said...

The glitch you are experiencing may be something completely different. Could you please email me a sample drawing and the steps to reproduce your error and I will fix it for you and for everyone with quick update. I want to be responsive to any issues anyone has so these can be valuable to you all.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I"m in Autocad Map 2015, I netload the ArcGIS for Autocad, appload the two lisp files. Then, when I select Afa labeling from toolbar or ribbon i get this error, "(progn (load "afa_labeling") (c:AFA_LABELFEATURECLASS)) ; error: bad argument type: stringp nil"

6:28 AM  
Blogger Don Kuehne said...

Kyle,

I just noticed that if you don’t have any feature classes defined in your drawing you will get this error. I will trap for this condition, but know there is nothing to label if you don’t have a feature class or feature service defined in your drawing.

Is this the condition you are seeing?
If not send me a copy of your drawing and I'll get it fixed for everyone.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I finally got a chance to test in 2013 and it seems to work fine, but get the error in same dwg in 2015.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Don Kuehne said...

Kyle send me a copy of a file that has this issue and if there is something wrong with the tools I can get it fixed for everyone. Be sure you have the latest ArcGIS for AutoCAD (recently updated for AutoCAD 2015 support) and the latest version of the bonus tools.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com