October 06, 2010

ArcGIS for AutoCAD 250 and Other New Stuff

Got a new car (used, but new to me). New phone (cheap, but with just the features I need).

…ArcGIS for AutoCAD 250 is something brand new. It supports 64 bit and 32 bit AutoCAD versions 2010 and 2011 (likely 2012 when it ships). I really like using it with its new ribbon interface, better map image quality and performance. It supports connecting to more kinds of servers with certain forms of authentification and now supports ArcGIS Server fast maps. ArcGIS for AutoCAD 250 has a clever new set of selection tools that have been added. Performance when editing large amounts of attribute information is also greatly improved.

I like the quick access to Esri Maps on the Ribbon. I also like that I get to use AutoCAD 2011 and its clever entity cloning feature (Add Selected) that is especially useful when creating new features. However, my favorite AutoCAD 2011 enhancement, layer transparency, enables me to create composite maps in ArcGIS for AutoCAD from multiple map service sources, and create watermark style images that won't overpower the AutoCAD entities I’m working with while still allowing me to see and use my GIS maps.

You can download it today here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I had trouble with the plugin 32 bits ArcGIS for AutoCAD 250.
At work we wanted to use it with Autocad Map 2011.
We have done the right things described on the ESRI link :
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisforautocad/10.0/help/#/Loading_ArcGIS_for_AutoCAD/00w20000005n000000/

But nothnig happens, no tool appears in the Autocad Map 2011....

If Someone has a solution?
Thanks for any return.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Don Kuehne said...

With the new version you have to NETLOAD the application each time you use it. The RIBBON will be created each time you load it. I put a netload statement in a script and then referenced that script on my desktop shortcut to automatically load ArcGIS for AutoCAD everytime. You might also use ACAD.lsp or one of the other methods to Autoload applications.

I also modified my AutoCAD Support Path to include the install directory so that AutoCAD can find both the DLL and my script. Furthermore I actually use the ArcGIS for AutoCAD install directory as my START In: directory.

Keep trying, it works.

The script I use looks like this:

_RIBBON
Netload
"ArcGISForAutoCAD.dll"

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com