February 18, 2015

CAD In ArcGIS Pro 1.0

The new desktop application includes some exciting new possibilities for CAD.  The 3D/2D side by side capability can really bring the 3D data to life in a map.

There are some significant and some subtle differences between support for CAD in ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.  Here are some insights into these differences:

  • ArcGIS Pro treats CAD files more like any other GIS data set of features.  CAD feature layers are supported as Simple Feature Layers rather than as the specific CAD Feature Layer type in ArcMap.  This one fact makes working with CAD data for GIS users exactly like any other data set.  
  • In ArcGIS Pro the Annotation feature class is another POINT feature class.  To see my text I set my point symbol for this layer to be a hollow symbol with a minimum point size and then I label the points, and include the txtAngle property to define the text angle for labeling.
  • ArcGIS Pro will honor the .WLD file or .PRJ file used to georeference my CAD file, but if I want to create a new .WLD file to locate my CAD drawn in some local coordinate system I will do that in my ArcMap.  
  • There is no way to georeference a CAD file in the first release of ArcGIS Pro.  You should use the georeferencing toolbar in ArcMap or convert the data and use the spatial adjustment tools if needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com